freelance

Friday 4 March 2011

Baby John

My husband’s nephew Andy was going out with a girl called Mary .Let me tell you, both are misfits. They broke up for about a year. They then got together again, this time she was pregnant and not with his baby. He knew this and didn’t mind. I must say here she was using drugs and drinking while she was carrying this baby. After the baby was born (let’s call him John) things really got out of hand. They would go out at night, leaving the baby alone and only get home the early hours of the morning. In the beginning I refused to have anything to do with her or the baby. But as time went on and I got to know the baby, I got fond of the child. So I looked after the baby when they went out which was every weekend. I notice that when I fed him he just could not wait for the spoon to get to his mouth; he would grab the bowl of food and try to swallow as fast as he could. This really worried me. I was sure this child had nothing to eat during the week, he was starving, that was when I found out she was only giving the baby water to drink during the day. (If Andy wasn’t drunk at night he would feed baby John) This carried on for about two months .Baby John first Christmas was with my husband and me. After we had lunch (John had a nappy was dirty and I told Mary to change it, she said she would at their place) they went back to their flat.
On December the 27 at about 8pm we got a phone call .Andy said we should get there as fast as we could as they were fighting and she was throwing glass objects around the flat and that that baby was in danger. We rushed to their flat to find that baby John was in between a lot of broken glass. I picked him up and noticed that he had a blue mark on the side of his head. Andy said that Mary had smacked him so hard that he had fallen off the bed. I said that was enough and that I was taking the baby with me. When I got home I wanted to change his nappy. I was shocked to find that his bottom was raw it must have been hell for the baby. He screamed for hours. I think the cream I had put on was burning him. It took six week for his bottom to heal. He was only eight months old.
The next’s morning I went to the police station to open a case of abuse against her .While I was doing this Mary walk in to report that I had kidnapped her baby. Thank goodness the police believed me. She was told that I would keep the child until after the holidays. Something I want to mention here is that I could not get a hold of anyone from the child protection or welfare seeing that it was over the Christmas holidays.
I got to keep John and we are fostering him. We have endless problems from the Mother as she is still drugging and drinking. And she refuses to let us adopt John. She is married and has had a baby girl, I pity the baby.

No comments: